A couple of weeks ago, i met someone who recently returned to her former job after taking a job with another institution for two years. She said “I realized the grass is not always greener [on the other side] and i decided to return.” My response was, “Wow! It’s nice that [your former institution] was nice to take you back.” 🙂 Interestingly, she is back in the same position she was before she left. Well, guess it’s true that whatever is meant for you will be for you.
I thought i’d write on this subject because quite often, we as girls/women see pictures of our friends (or other women) or hear about an exciting thing someone else is doing and we begin to wonder what if? We start analyzing our situations and begin comparing our positions/places in life with others around us. Many times, this happens when we look at pictures of our friends on social media outlets or when we catch up after a long time. Ever wished you lived/worked in another City? State? Country? Another part of the world? Ever wondered how your life would be different if you were single, in a relationship, married, dating/married to someone else?!
There are several circumstances we face that might cause us to think that life is better on the other side. However, i want to caution you today to think carefully before you get envious and/or make a drastic decision. Below are some questions and tips to consider before your next big decision:
Regarding a career opportunity:
- Is this my passion? (Do not pursue an opportunity for the money, glam, or because of your friends)
- Will this make me happy? And/or will this opportunity help me grow?
- How much more value will this opportunity add to my life/career trajectory?
- Have I watered the grass where i am and it still isn’t getting/looking greener?
- Have I spoken to and heard from God about this?
- Am i ready for the implications, whatever they may be?
Regarding a romantic relationship:
- Will this relationship make me truly happy?
- Why do i want this relationship?
- Am i (physically, mentally, emotionally/spiritually) ready for this relationship?
- Have i spoken to and heard from God about this relationship?
- Am i confident in/of who i am as a person? (It is important to know yourself well before getting involved in a romantic relationship with another person; things get very emotional)
Those are the tips that come to my mind at the moment. But, i would love to hear any tips/advice you have to share. Also, if you’d like to chat about this and other SEG posts, send me a note at email@example.com. And, like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/strongenoughgirls?ref=hl.
Remember, you hold the key to your happiness.